SKF SLC produces over 30 million seals each year in close to 50,000 part numbers.
Hydraulic cylinders operate in a variety of applications and environmental conditions, including exposure to dust, debris or outside weather conditions. To prevent these contaminants from entering the cylinder assembly and hydraulic system, wiper seals (also known as scrapers, excluders or dust seals) are fitted on the external side of the cylinder head.
Wiper seals maintain sealing contact to the piston rod when the equipment is stationary (static, no reciprocating motion of rod) and in use (dynamic, reciprocating rod), whereas the tolerance for the rod diameter d is determined by the rod seal. Without a wiper seal, the retracting piston rod could transport contaminants into the cylinder. The outside static sealing of the wiper seal within the housing is also important to avoid moisture or particles from entering around the outside of the wiper seal.
SKF Press-In Wiper Profiles
- Polyurethane press-in wiper seal; steel retaining ring; single-lip design; lip protrudes from head; small radial cross section
- PA PDF
- Polyurethane press-in wiper seal; steel retaining ring; effective single lip design that sits flush with head; suitable for heavy duty applications
- MCW PDF
- Polyurethane press-in wiper seal; steel retaining ring; double-lip design improves rod sealing system performance
- PAD PDF
- PAD design with a vent hole in the inside-facing lip
- PADV PDF
SKF Snap-In Wiper Profiles
- Polyurethane snap-in wiper seal; singlelip design; static seal lips on the outside surface and outside face; notches on inside edge of heel
- DTW PDF
- This D series wiper is similar to the DS series wiper, but has the added dust lips to prevent contamination for entering the system from the static side.
- DX PDF
- Polyurethane snap-in wiper seal; double- lip design improves rod sealing system performance
- HW PDF
- STD Seal
- STD rod seal profiles can also be used as snap-in wiper seals. STD profiles are made of LUBRITHANE (TPU). They are suitable for pressures up to 400 bar (5 800 psi) in medium duty applications and can also be used as a heavy duty static seal or a snap-in wiper seal. These profiles are available in inch sizes where narrower seal housings are used.
- STD PDF